Woman in Hong Kong dies from fire in Mong Kok tenement building

Firefighters rushed the victim, 35, who had fallen unconscious from inhaling smoke, to hospital where she was later declared dead.

A woman died after a fire broke out in a tenement building in Hong Kong’s Mong Kok on Friday morning.

Authorities were alerted at 2.55am to the fire at the flat at No 927 Canton Road. About 50 firefighters and ambulance personnel, along with nine fire engines and two ambulances were deployed. The blaze was put out in about an hour.

The victim, 35, who lives in the building, had fallen unconscious after inhaling thick smoke and was rushed to Kwong Wah Hospital in Yau Ma Tei, where she was later certified dead. About 20 other residents self-evacuated to safety.

A preliminary investigation found a short circuit of an external charger at the site had caused the fire. Police did not classify the case as suspicious.

The tenement building is more than 60 years old, and some flats there are reportedly rented by foreigners including students and professors.